STCW and related short course criteria
The MNTB, in conjunction with the MCA, has developed the required STCW ‘short course criteria’ specification documents. These are required for approval of training under the IMO Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW), 1978, as amended, and those required by the International Ship and Port facility Security (ISPS) Code 2003 Edition. In addition, course criteria have been developed for non-mandatory courses that meet specific industry needs.
The criteria are contained in a series of booklets, which cover the STCW 2010 Manila amendments, plus non-STCW training required by industry. They are available for purchase direct from Witherby Seamanship publications either as an electronic document or printed booklet.
Please note: approval to deliver STCW ‘short course’ training must be sought from the MCA.
MNTB course criteria booklets:
- Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS) Simulator Training – £30.00
- Fire Courses Criteria (Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (FP&FF); FP&FF Updating Training Requirements; Tanker Fire Fighting Requirements; Advanced Fire Fighting (AFF); AFF Updating Training Requirements) – £30.00
- First Aid and Medical Courses Criteria (Proficiency in Elementary First Aid; Proficiency in Medical First Aid; Proficiency in Medical Care; Medical Care Updating Training Requirements) – £30.00
- Global Marine Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) Courses Criteria (General Operator’s Certificate (GOC); Restricted Operator’s Certificate (ROC)) – £30.00
- High Voltage Curses Criteria (Operational and Management Levels) – £30.00
- Human Element Leadership and Management (Operational and Management Levels) – £50.00
- Navigational Aids and Equipment Simulator Training (NAEST) (Operational Level; Management Level; Automatic Radar Plotting Aids (ARPA) Training, Small Ships Navigation and Radar Course) – £30.00
- Passenger Ship Courses Criteria (Crowd Management Training; Safety Training Requirements for Personnel Providing Direct Service to Passengers in Passenger Spaces; Proficiency in Crisis Management and Human Behaviour Training; Proficiency in Passenger Safety, Cargo Safety and Hull Integrity Training for Ro-Ro Passenger Ships) – £30.00
- Safety Courses Criteria (Proficiency in Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (PSSR); Entry into Enclosed Spaces Training (non-STCW requirement); Shipboard Safety Officer Training (non-STCW requirement)) – £30.00
- Security Courses Criteria (Proficiency in Security Awareness; Proficiency for Seafarers with Designated Security Duties; Proficiency for Ship Security Officers (SSO); Company Security Officer Training (non-STCW requirement)) – £30.00
- Survival Courses Criteria (Personal Survival Techniques (PST); PST Updating Training Requirements; Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats (other than Fast Rescue Boats) (PSC&RB); PSC&RB Updating Training Requirements; Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats (PFRB); PFRB Updating Training Requirements) – £30.00
- Tanker Training Courses Criteria (Basic Training for Oil and Chemical, Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations; Advanced Training for Oil, Chemical and Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations) – £30.00